Scottish Borders Council

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Via Microsoft Teams

Contact: Louise McGeoch Tel: 01835 825005  Email:  lmcgeoch@scotborders.gov.uk

Link: link to live stream

Items
No. Item

1.

Minute pdf icon PDF 21 KB

Minute of Meeting held on 17 November 2021 to be approved and signed by the Chairman.  (Copy attached.)

 

Minutes:

There had been circulated copies of the Minute of the meeting held on 17 November 2021.

 

DECISION

AGREED to approve the Minutes.

 

2.

Council Decision on Trust Membership pdf icon PDF 170 KB

Note decision of Scottish Borders Council on 25 November 2021 regarding membership of the Trust.  (Copy Minute Extract attached.)

Minutes:

There had been circulated copies of an extract from the Minute of Scottish Borders Council held on 25 November 2021 regarding the decision to leave the membership of the Trust unchanged and asking the Trustees to consider how best to engage with stakeholders in Peeblesshire. Members discussed the setting up of a stakeholder group similar to that which was in place for the Memorial Hall in Innerleithen and agreed that Keith Bellville, Chairman of the Group be invited to the next meeting of the Trust to advise how the Group operated.  Councillor Tatler undertook to invite Mr Bellville to the next meeting and to work with Mr Harrow to draft a suggested role and responsibilities for the Group.

 

            DECISION

            AGREED that Councillor Tatler invite Mr Bellville to the next meeting and to work with Mr Harrow to draft a suggested role and responsibilities for the Group.

 

3.

Format of Future Meetings

Consider format of future Trust meetings.

Minutes:

Members discussed the frequency and format of future meetings.  It was proposed that the Trust meet monthly until March.  Finance and property matters would be reported on quarterly with the next report in February although matters arising could be brought to any meeting.  The Chairman welcomed Jane Hogg from Live Borders to the meeting and hoped that she would be able to attend on a regular basis.  There was also a suggestion that future meetings could include an open forum for members of the public to raise matters.  It was agreed that this be considered further at the next meeting.

.

            DECISION

            AGREED that:-

 

            (a)     monthly meetings be held until March 2021;

 

(b)     finance and property matters be reported quarterly commencing in February; and

 

(c)     consideration of introducing an open forum be discussed at the next meeting of the Trust.

 

4.

Consultation Process pdf icon PDF 350 KB

Consider results of previous consultation process.  (Copy papers attached.)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

With reference to paragraph 4 of the Minute of 17 November 2021, there had been circulated copies of the outcome of the previous consultation carried out in 2015/16. There had been a high level of engagement and Mr Harrow provided a summary of the points made.  It was noted that things had changed since then and the new consultation would need to cover both the strategic and operational use of the building. 

 

DECISION

NOTED.

 

5.

Dates of Future Meetings

Agree dates of future meetings:-

 

·         19 January 2022

·         16 February 2022

·         16 March 2022

 

 

 

Minutes:

Dates for early 2022 were proposed.

 

            DECISION

            AGREED that meetings be held on:-

 

·         19 January 2022

·         16 February 2022

·         16 March 2022

 

6.

Urgent Business

Minutes:

Under Section 50B(4)(b) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, the Chairman was of the opinion that the item dealt with in the following paragraph should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency to make an early decision. 

7.

Funding Opportunities

Minutes:

7.1       Steven Renwick advised that bids were being considered for submission in respect of the UK levelling up fund and there was an opportunity for Scottish Borders Council to submit a bid for a phase of the works to the Chambers Institute.  He suggested that Page & Park be requested to make refinements to the original proposals.  Karen Nugent from Page & Park was present at the meeting and agreed that they would be happy to undertake this work.  She commented on the changes since the first project had been drawn up and advised that they would build on previous work to develop a stronger project which would bring a wider community benefit.  In response to a suggestion by the Chairman, Councillor Haslam confirmed that she had already been in touch with David Mundell, MP regarding this funding.  Mr Renwick confirmed he would report back to the Trust in February to provide an update on what works might be included.  It was noted that there was no timescale yet for the submission of bids.

 

7.2       Tricia Hill advised that she had had a discussion with Graeme Johnstone regarding the possible use of Place Making funding to open up the suspended ceiling and carry out some painting works in the Burgh Hall.  The Chairman clarified that the works would form 2 parts, namely the removal of the suspended ceiling and decoration to match the ceiling to the remainder of the hall.  Karen Nugent suggested that the removal of the suspended ceiling would allow an opportunity to improve the performance of the building and insulation could be added before redecoration. Jane Hogg commented on Live Borders ambition to include new technology to future proof the use of the hall.  Ms Hill advised that she would assist Graeme Johnstone in taking the project forward and would report back at the next meeting.

 

            DECISION

            AGREED that:

 

(a)     Mr Renwick work with Page and Park to refresh the plans and report back to the Trust at their meeting in February regarding what might be included in a bid for Levelling-Up funding; and

 

(b)     Ms Hill provide an update on the bid for Place Making funding at the next meeting.

 

8.

Private Business

Before proceeding with the private business, the following motion should be approved:-

 

“That under Section 50A(4) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in the relevant paragraphs of Part 1 of Schedule 7A to the aforementioned Act.”

 

Minutes:

DECISION

AGREED under Section 50A(4) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 to exclude the public from the meeting during consideration of the business detailed in the Appendix to this Minute on the grounds that it involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 6 of Part I of Schedule 7A to the Act.

 

SUMMARY OF PRIVATE BUSINESS

 

9.

Private Minute

Consider private section of Minute of meeting held on 17 November 2021.  (Copy attached.)

Minutes:

Members approved the Minute of the meeting held on 6 October 2021.

10.

Consultation Process

Consider options.

Minutes:

Members discussed possible proposals for carrying out a new consultation on the proposals for the Chambers Institution.

 

 

CONTACT US

Scottish Borders Council

Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA

Tel: 0300 100 1800

Email:

For more Contact Details