Scottish Borders Council

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Berwickshire High School, Langtongate, Duns, TD11 3QG

Contact: Eileen Graham Tel: 01835 826585  Email:  eegraham@scotborders.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

Councillor Fullarton welcomed everyone to the Berwickshire Area Partnership and thanked the Community Councils, Partners and local organisations for their attendance.  He outlined the programme for the evening and introduced the speakers.

 

2.

Inspire Learning

An opportunity to see what it will look like and understand how it will benefit all teachers and pupils across the Scottish Borders.

Minutes:

2.1       The Chairman also extended a welcome to Catherine Thomson, Quality Improvement Officer, who gave a presentation on the Inspire Learning Programme and explained how the programme would benefit all teachers and pupils across the Scottish Borders.  Ms Thomson advised that the programme was a £16m investment in a world-class digital learning environment for all pupils.  The programme was a key part of the Digital Learning Strategy and would transform teaching and learning in schools for the benefit of children and young people now and into the future.  It included plans for iPads to be provided to all P6-S6 pupils and shared devices at a ratio of one for every five P1-P5 pupils.  The rationale was aimed at raising attainment and to support equity and inclusion for all children and young people and putting them at the heart of education with improved outcomes and success.  The effective deployment of digital technology in schools would ensure children and young people developed a level of general and specialised digital skills that were vital for learning, life and work in an increased digital world.  It would not be about having an iPad as a device, but a tool used to enhanced learning, teaching and assessment.  The national expectation of this new digital solution would allow learners to select and make use of the high-quality resources and equipment; a deployed wide variety of innovative and creative resources and teaching approach; increased responsibility to become more independent in learning; and increased employability skills.

 

2.2      The partnership with CGI throughout the programme brought benefit of having expert knowledge of the wider IT marketplace and the Apple iPad was chosen because the project team had researched a number of current devices and platforms for learning and had also looked at the pros and cons of each one and as a result the iPad was the best value option.  Ms Thomson went on to explain that the introduced Inspire Learning would be more current and more up to date in a very connected world.  It would improve how we communicate, change the way we communicate with each other and within families and would change how we live.  Inspire Learning would be adaptable, flexible and impact on how we learn and work.  It would collaborate change in the way we connect in the classroom with the teachers and other schools, in Scotland and the world and put Scottish Borders on the global map.  Inspire Learning was personal, collaborative and mobile to bring excellence.  The feedback given to youngsters would move quicker through their learning and would be used to improve teaching.  Ms Thomson also explained that this would be a big drive towards bringing forward digital strategy.  It was not just about iPads, it was about piecing all things together through the Pillars of Inspire Learning through: professional learning and teaching, strategic planning, correct infrastructure and environment, the clusters and school leaders.  Ms Thomson advised that the teacher iPad deployment programme would commence on Monday 17 June in Selkirk  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Provision of Outdoor Community Spaces pdf icon PDF 188 KB

Update on the programme of work delivering a strategic network of outdoor community spaces, including current planned investment and recommendations on obsolete play areas.  (Copy attached).

Minutes:

3.1       There had been circulated copies of a report by the Service Director Assets and Infrastructure setting out guidance and recommendations for the Berwickshire Area for future investment in Public Play facilities and proposals for the removal of obsolete play areas, agreed as part of the 2018/19 Capital Investment Plan and updated within the Capital Investment Plan 2019/20.  The 2019/20 Capital Investment Plan had funding of £5.036m for investment within Outdoor Community Spaces over the 10 years.  This presented a tremendous asset for communities, however also brought a maintenance burden, for which no additional revenue resources were being provided.  As part of the original investment within the 2018/19 Capital Investment Plan, it was simultaneously agreed by Council to review the distribution of play equipment provision across play parks in the Borders which could: (1) inform decision making around future investment in communities; and (2) guide the rationalisation of obsolete play facilities which were deemed no longer fit for purpose, ensuring a cost neutral impact on established budgets with the Service.

 

3.2       The programme of investment in play facilities aimed to improve community wellbeing and enhance activity levels for all ages with a beneficial impact on the health of the population.  The programme of proposed projects across the Scottish Borders and an indicative timescale for delivery for the period 2018/19 to 2022/23 was provided within the report.  The programme proposed a range of provision including Children’s Playparks, Pump bike/Skate tracks and Fitness/Youth Shelter provision as well as the rationalisation of obsolete equipment, where this was no longer fit for purpose.  In conjunction with the strategic investment across the Region, Members previously agreed to: change the Scheme of Delegation to give authority to the Service Director Assets and Infrastructure and create a reference group which would include the remit to “make recommendations to the Service Director Assets and Infrastructure or Executive Committee on which obsolete play areas should be removed, particularly in areas where there had been significant investment.  The Neighbourhood Operations Manager, Mr Craig Blackie explained that in this context, officers had undertaken an appraisal of the wider network of play equipment aimed at responding to the issue of low play value, which Scottish Borders Council (SBC) had within its play facilities assets.  The evaluation had been undertaken to ensure SBC retained and developed a network of valued, well equipped spaces for local communities.  In the Scottish Borders currently the quantity of play provision was high per head of population, but the quality was very low (compared to national benchmarking) and this diminished the wider benefits of these facilities to communities.  This programme of investment would address the challenge of balancing quantity against quality, ensuring optimal provision of play facilities across the network.  Areas of low value play facilities where there was a recognised need i.e. the only play park in the locality, would be identified as priorities for potential future investment.  As no additional revenue resources were being provided to support the long term management and maintenance of the new  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Jim Clark Rally 2019 pdf icon PDF 767 KB

Consultation on proposals by the rally organisers to hold an event on closed roads in Berwickshire on 8 and 9 November 2019.

Minutes:

There had been circulated copies of a report by the Executive Director and Service Director Assets and Infrastructure to provide the Area Partnership and the local community an opportunity to consider and comment on the proposals submitted by the event organisers of the Jim Clark Rally to hold a rally on closed roads in Berwickshire on 8 and 9 November 2019.  The revised legislation had been introduced to allow motor sports events to take place on closed public roads.  The new regulations built upon previous experience through the Jim Clark Rally and other events and were intended to introduce increased rigor to the procedure for organising and running such events.  The new regulations introduced a two stage procedure where organisers must first successfully apply to an “authorised body” for a permit before applying to the local roads authority for a Motor Sports Order.  In determining whether to make a motor sports order Scottish Borders Council, as local roads authority, had to consider a number of factors that were laid out in the regulations.  The report outlined those factors and provided an opportunity to, in particular, examine the proposals submitted by the rally organisers in respect of the routes and timings for the rally on 8 and 9 November 2019.  The Infrastructure Manager, Mr Brian Young, advised that the updated Appendices would be circulated and that the information circulated was to raise awareness that the organisers of the Jim Clark Rally had successfully applied for a permit and had lodged an application for a Motor Sports Order to Scottish Borders Council.  As part of the new legislation the Council had launched a public consultation, which included the timings and layout, and was available online until 28 June.  He further advised that the format would be the same as previous and that there would be no overnight schedule.  The organisers had also intimated that they would have a stand at the Duns Agricultural Show on 3 August 2019.  It was agreed that Mr Young would also make available the contact details of the organisers from the Jim Clark Rally website.

 

5.

Feedback from Meeting on 2 May 2019 pdf icon PDF 75 KB

Copy Minute from meeting on 2 May 2019.  (Copy attached).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Minute of the Meeting of the Berwickshire Area Partnership held on 2 May 2019 had been circulated along with a summary of the discussion.  Colin Banks, Locality Development Co-ordinator, gave a brief outline of the previous discussion.

 

DECISION

AGREED the Minute.

 

6.

Rural Transport: Area Partnership Priorities pdf icon PDF 328 KB

An opportunity for the Area Partnership to discuss specific rural transport related issues and priorities that should be raised at a planned rural transport conference (28 June 2019).

Minutes:

Those present at the Area Partnership meeting then split into groups to discuss specific rural transport related issues and priorities to be raised at the planned rural transport conference to be held on 28 June 2019.  The flyer for the conference and the transport related discussion output document would be circulated for response back by 14 June 2019.

 

7.

Nomination for SBC Elected Member for the Community Council Scheme Review Working Group

Minutes:

The Clerk to the Council advised that nominations were required for the SBC elected member for the Community Council Scheme Review Working Group.   Councillor Helen Laing was nominated by Councillor Fullarton and seconded by Councillor Carol Hamilton.  Councillor Laing was happy to accept and this was unanimously approved. 

 

8.

Berwickshire Community Fund 2019-20 Applications pdf icon PDF 121 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Communities & Partnership Manager, Shona Smith, explained that the Berwickshire Community Fund 2019/20 guidance and application forms were available on the SBC website.  An application would be assessed and officers would make a recommendation to either proceed to Area Partnership for approval; to hold until further information received; or that the application would not progress any further.  If the application was agreed at the Area Partnership meeting, an award letter and payment would be processed in accordance with the terms and conditions along with a monitoring and evaluation form for completion at the end of the project.  Ms Smith advised on the two applications received:- 

 

(a)       Connect Berwickshire Youth Project – funding requested £6,099 to provide support towards premises costs including a complete redecoration of the facilities, a contribution towards rent and the cost of essential new software for updating financial systems.

 

(b)       A Heart for Duns – funding requested £1,925 to replace four existing old and worn wooden planter in the Duns Market Square with new planters, along with top soil/compost with the existing Summer bedding plans to be transferred and would explore opportunities with the local Men’s Shed in the supply/provision of wooden planters for other suitable sites in the town

 

DECISION

AGREED:

(a)       to approve a grant from the Community Fund of up to £6,099 to Connect Berwickshire Youth Project, on the basis that if the quote for redecoration was less than the requested amount, the award would be adjusted accordingly; and

 

(b)       to approve a grant from the Community Fund of £1,925 to Heart of Duns, on the basis that opportunities would be explored with the local Men’s Shed in the supply/provision of wooden planters for other suitable sites in the town.

 

 

9.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Mr Cronin addressed the meeting making reference to a letter from David Carpenter dated 3 August 2016 and to ask the Council to reconsider the use of wi-fi in schools.  This was noted.

 

10.

Date of Next Meeting

Thursday 5 September 2019 – venue to be confirmed

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Berwickshire Area Partnership was scheduled for Thursday 5 September – venue to be agreed.  Councillor Fullarton thanked all those who had attended the meeting for their participation and input.

 

 

CONTACT US

Scottish Borders Council

Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA

Tel: 0300 100 1800

Email:

For more Contact Details