Scottish Borders Council

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Via Microsoft

Contact: Fioan Henderson Tel 01835 826502  e-mail:  fhenderson@scotborders.gov.uk

Link: teamsliveevent

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome

Minutes:

1.0      WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the Cheviot Area Partnership held remotely via Microsoft teams, which included elected Members, guests attending within the meeting and those watching via the Live Stream.  He outlined how the meeting would be conducted.

 

2.

Feedback and Evaluation from Meeting on 24 March 2021 pdf icon PDF 246 KB

(a)    Minute of Meeting held on 24 March 2021

 

(b)    Evaluation from Meeting held on 24 March 2021  

Additional documents:

Minutes:

1.0      Feedback from meeting on 24 March 2021

1.1      The minute of the meeting of the Cheviot Area Partnership held on 24 March 2021 had been circulated and was noted.

 

3.

Section 1: Service & Partner Updates pdf icon PDF 508 KB

(a)       Interactive session facilitated by the Scottish Futures Trust.

This conversation seeks to build on the energy of communities and local responses to Covid, and engaging with developing national policy on the importance of ‘place’ to support people to live better locally. It is an interactive, facilitated session, focused on local experience and insights, to begin the process of working out the best way to work together to shape the future of our places on shared priorities.

 

 

(b)       Scottish Borders Warm & Well Project – Ruth Dickinson, Changeworks

 

 

(c)       For Noting: Area Partnership Consultation

A consultation about potential changes to the five local Area Partnerships, closes 1 August: https://scotborders.citizenspace.com/customer-communities/area-partnerships-next-steps

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

SECTION 1: SERVICE & PARTNER UPDATES

1.0      PLACE MAKING APPROACH 

With reference to paragraph 3 of the Minute of 24 March 2021, the Chairman introduced Diarmaid Lawlor, from Scottish Futures Trust, to facilitate a brief workshop around Place-Making. This was a follow-up to the presentation given at the last Area Partnership meeting which followed the report to Council in February, outlining a proposed approach to Place-Making. The Chairman explained that Mr Lawlor, who had a broad experience of working with other communities elsewhere in Scotland, was assisting the area partnerships to develop our arrangements in the Borders. From an understanding of local need and ambition, and using Covid learning, there was an opportunity for a different way of working between communities and public agencies. A ‘place based’ approach sought to co-produce an understanding of local priorities and co-deliver action. The format for the workshop was based on three questions around: ambition and key issues in the community; success criteria; and principles how we could better work together (Appendix I). Mr Lawlor led the discussion and made real-time notes to summarise the comments and points made (Appendix II). There was enthusiastic engagement in the conversation from those present at the meeting, the main areas of conversation focusing on broadband issues; equity and opportunity; involvement of young people; sustainability.  Mr Lawlor advised that the note, summarising the key points of the discussion, would be circulated following the meeting and it was agreed that it also be attached as an appendix to the Minute. The Chairman explained that a summary of the workshop discussions across all the area partnerships would inform a report to Council at the end of August to set out the detail of the place-making approach. Subject to Council approval the first place-making events would begin in Autumn of this year. Locality Development Co-ordinator, Clare Malster, added that, if there were further comments or thoughts that occurred after the meeting, these should be passed on to him for inclusion in the notes. The Chairman thanked Mr Lawlor for his excellent facilitation and for all those who had taken part in the discussion. 

 

 

4.0     SCOTTISH BORDERS WARM AND WELL PROJECT

Due to the unexpected last minute unavailability of Ruth Dickson, this item was deferred to a future meeting.

 

5.0     AREA PARTNERSHIP CONSULTATION

With reference to previous discussions around the review of Area Partnerships, Ms Malster, drew attention to the Area Partnership consultation which was ongoing and referred to the link to the consultation that was included within the agenda.

 

4.

Section 2: Local Priorities pdf icon PDF 117 KB

(a)         Donald Scott and Scott Learmonth, SBC’s Roads Asset Team - Roads update on   

  maintenance work, including Winter 2020/21

 

(b)          Clare Malster, Cheviot Community Assistance Hub  - Written update

 

(c)          Cheviot Community update - Opportunityto share updates from your community or     

           raise topics for future discussion

 

Minutes:

SECTION 2: LOCAL PRIORTIES 

            ROADS UPDATE ON MAINTENANCE WORK, INCLUDING WINTER 2020/21

            The Chairman introduced Roads Asset Team Leader, Donald Scott and Assistant Engineer, Scott Learmonth to update the Area Partnership on roads maintenance.  Mr Scott briefly outlined that Asset Management followed a strategic approach and the National Guidance and Road Asset Management Plan (RAMP), Annual Financial Review and planned work programme in association with Public Service Excellence (APSE) and Performance Measurement (National PI’s).  The types of Maintenance undertaken included planned maintenance - Carriageways (Resurfacing, Surface Dressing and Patching), Footways (Resurfacing, Slurry Sealing and Kerbing), Drainage (Improvement Works and New Schemes), Embankments (Stabilisation, Re-profiling and Erosion Repairs), Cattle Grids (Removal and Replacement), Street Furniture (Improvement and Replacement), Routine and Cyclic Maintenance, Reactive maintenance and winter maintenance.  In terms of gritting roads and footways, the Primary Road Network totalled 1154 km (39% of all roads) identified as primary routes for treatment and receive precautionary treatment.  Secondary Road Network totalled 472 km (16% of all roads) identified to receive treatment next when severe and prolonged winter conditions and resources allowed.  The Tertiary Road Network:  Remaining roads (including car parks) would only be treated when extended weather conditions persist and Primary Footway Network: Primary routes identified in larger towns and villages would receive post-treatment. All other routes are classed as Secondary routes.  The budget for 2021/22 was divided into Capital -just under £7 million, Revenue - just under £5 million and Winter was just under £3 million and External Funding (STTS/SWCR).  Mr Scott concluded his presentation with details of planned works to be carried out in the Cheviot Area.  Mr Scott and Mr Learmonth answered questions and the Chairman thanked him for his informative presentation.

 

7.0       CHEVIOT COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE HUB

Clare Malster, Locality Development Co-ordinator reported that the number of new referrals to Cheviot Community Assistance Hub had greatly reduced since the last meeting. However, it was stressed that the Hub was still operational and could be contacted through 0301 100 1800 or Covid-19Community@scotborders.gov.uk by anyone requiring support for themselves or someone they know.  iPads have been delivered to four Community Assistance Hub clients who were awarded devices through the Scottish Government’s Connecting Scotland Winter Support Package.  Cheviot Community Partners (Community organisations, Third Sector, SBC and NHS Borders) continued to meet on a weekly basis to share service updates and recently received a presentation from Dr Victoria Thomson about Transform Psychological Trauma and those present were asked for ideas on how all sectors could work together to embed the approach across all our organisations.

Partners are starting to meet clients face to face again but, depending on the organisation, this is restricted by numbers and need.  The meeting continued to be attended by a range of organisations with the shared experience and knowledge being a very valuable resource to identify solutions to problems and issues which were brought to the meeting.

 

8.0     CHEVIOT COMMUNITY UPDATE

8.1     Hazel Woodsell, Kelso Heritage reported that the Kelso Community Orchard was progressing well with the addition of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Section 3: Community Funding pdf icon PDF 793 KB

(a)           Community Fund Working Group - draft documents and process for approval

   Update from Working Group (to follow.)

 

(b)           Cheviot Community Fund for noting.  (Copies attached.)

 

(c)            For noting: Build Back a Better Borders Recovery Fund

New Fund launched 1 June 2021

Build Back a Better Borders Recovery Fund | Scottish Borders Council (scotborders.gov.uk)

cid:image001.png@01D7592F.EE42D010

Additional documents:

Minutes:

SECTION 3: COMMUNITY FUND

9.0     COMMUNITY FUND WORKING GROUP

With reference to paragraph 4 of the Minute of 24 March 2021, the Chairman explained that the working group had met again to further develop new proposals for the operation of the Cheviot Area Partnership.  There had been circulated copies of a report which detailed proposals on how members would be appointed to the Cheviot Community Fund Assessment Panel and how that Panel would operate with regard to meetings, together with the draft Community Fund Application Form, Draft Assessment Scoring Matrix, Cheviot Community Fund Framework 2021 and Draft Cheviot Community Fund Guidance Notes.   

In terms of appointments of applicants from the Cheviot area public to the Assessment Panel, it was proposed that the decision was delegated to the Service Director Customer & Communities, in consultation with the Chair of the Cheviot Area Partnership and the Executive Member for Community Development and Localities. The names of the successful candidates would be notified to the next available meeting of the Area Partnership. Suitable training would be provided to all members of the Assessment Panel.  The proposed constitution and procedural rules for the Assessment Panel were contained in the Appendix to the report.   The report detailed the background to the report, the proposed recruitment process for membership of the Assessment Panel and proposed Constitution and Procedural rules.  In terms of the Assessment Criteria, it was thought to be very good, concise and easy to follow.  Councillor Mountford sought an amendment that appointment of local Members be delegated to Jenni Craig in consultation with the local members.  It was confirmed that there would be a review after 12 months.  In response to a question about the age of the young person, it was advised that 16 yrs. had been chosen as it is a legal age and in order that they had a vote.

 

DECISION

AGREED to:-

 

(a)          delegate authority to the Service Director Customer & Communities, in consultation with the Chair of the Area Partnership and the Executive Member for Community Development and Localities, to appoint members of the Cheviot community to the Cheviot Community Fund Assessment Panel, following a suitable recruitment process;

 

(b)          approve the constitution and procedural rules for the Assessment Panel as detailed in the Appendix to this report; and

 

(c)        appoint two SBC Elected Members, one each from Jedburgh & District and

            Kelso & District wards, as non-voting members of Cheviot Assessment Panel.

10.     CHEVIOT COMMUNITY fUNDING 2020/21

There had been circulated copies of the Cheviot Funding for 2021/2022 which detailed the funding available together with information on the allocation of the Community Grant Fund in 2020/21.  The opening balance at 1 April 2021 was £46,551.00 plus 50% of available Local Festival Grant Budget totalling £8,337.50, which resulted in an overall budget of £54,888.50.  Other sources of Grant Funding for Cheviot totalled £79,926.00.  The Fund was currently closed.   

 

DECISION

NOTED.

 

6.

For Noting: Current consultations and additional information pdf icon PDF 439 KB

(Copy attached.)

Minutes:

FOR NOTING: SBC BUILD BACK A BETTER BORDERS RECOVERY FUND

Ms Malster drew attention to the recently launched ‘’Build Back a Better Borders Recovery Fund’ – a one-off £500k fund established as part of the Council’s response and recovery efforts related to COVID-19. The fund, which would be open to applications until 31 May 2022, would be available for one-off new initiatives and projects and divided between the five localities.  Assessments of applications would be undertaken by the Communities and Partnership Team and presented to the relevant Area Partnership for decision making. Ms Malster invited any groups requiring assistance with an application to contact her at cmalster@scotborders.gov.uk

 

12.0   OTHER INFORMATION AND NEWS FOR NOTING

12.1   The Chairman drew attention to the current consultations and other items for noting which were included in the Agenda and in particular highlighted the Area Partnerships – next Steps which closed on 1 August 2021.

 

12.2   Don McNeil, Station Commander highlighted the public consultation on the long term vision of the Fire and Rescue Service which closed on 18 Juy 2021. 

 

7.

Next Area Partnership - 22 September 2021

The Agenda for the next meeting will be issued on 8 September 2021 – are there any items you would like to propose for the Agenda ? - for Example

 

September

Budget

November

Community empowerment and community ownership

January

Locality Plans

 

Please contact your Local Councillor or the Communities & Partnership Team with items for future agendas.

8.

Any Other Formal Business

9.

Open Forum

10.

Meeting Evaluation

An online evaluation form will be available from 6:30pm on Wednesday 30 June until 11:45pm on Sunday 4 July: https://forms.office.com/r/HHH1dEcmz3

 

11.

Future Meeting Dates - Cheviot Area Partnership

Wednesday, 24 November 2021

Wednesday, 26 January 2022

Wednesday, 23 March 2022

Wednesday, 29 June 2022

 

Minutes:

DATE OF FUTURE MEETINGS

          Future Meetings of the Cheviot Area Partnership would be held on the following dates:

 

Wednesday, 22 September 2021 

Wednesday, 24 November 2021

Wednesday, 26 January 2022

Wednesday, 23 March 2022

Wednesday, 29 June 2022

 

            The next meeting would be held on Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 6.30 p.m. via Microsoft Teams when there would be a presentation on winter maintenance.

 

14.     MEETING EVALUATION     

Ms Malster reminded those present about the meeting evaluation form which could be accessed via the link https://forms.office.com/r/HHH1dEcmz3 and was available until 11.45 p.m. on 4 July.  She added that feedback about the Area Partnership meetings was really helpful and always appreciated.

 

CHAIRMAN

The Chairman thanked everyone for their attendance and closed the meeting.

 

 

CONTACT US

Scottish Borders Council

Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA

Tel: 0300 100 1800

Email:

For more Contact Details