Scottish Borders Council

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Lesser Hall, Town Hall, Hawick

Contact: Judith Turnbull Tel No. 01835 826556  Email:

No. Item


Order of Business


The Chairman varied the order of business as shown on the agenda and the Minute reflects the order in which the items were considered at the meeting.




Minute pdf icon PDF 135 KB

Minute of the meeting of the Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum of 15 November 2016 to be approved. (Copy attached).


There had been circulated copies of the Minute of the meeting held on 15 November 2016.   



AGREED to approve the Minute.




Matters Arising from the Minute


With regard to paragraph 13 of the Minute of 15 November 2016, Councillor Smith advised that 14 young people had been invited to participate in Bailleul’s 50th anniversary celebrations.  There had been no interest received as yet; if anyone was interested they should contact Councillor Smith.






Disabled Persons Parking Places - Traffic Regulation Order pdf icon PDF 164 KB

Consider report by Chief Officer – Roads (Copy attached).


With reference to paragraph 5 of the Minute of 21 April 2015, there had been circulated copies of a report by the Chief Officer, Roads which proposed to amend the Scottish Borders Council (Disabled Persons Parking Places) Order 2015.  The report explained that since the original Order in 2015 a number of additional requests had been received, as well as bays which were no longer required and had been removed.  The report detailed the amendments within the Teviot and Liddesdale area as part of a region-wide Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) (omitting those which were no longer required since the beginning of consultation).   Ms S Elliot was in attendance and advised that since the TRO had been prepared and advertised, a number of disabled bays were no longer required and had been brought to officers’ attention for removal.  These bays would not be included in the final TRO and were shown as struck off in the draft schedule shown in Appendix A to the report circulated with the Agenda.  



AGREED to approve the amendment of disabled parking places in the Cheviot Area listed in Appendix A to the report (as amended by removals) to The Scottish Borders Council (Disabled Persons Parking Places) Order 2015. 




Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015

Presentation by the Communities & Partnership Team, Strategic Policy Unit, Scottish Borders Council.  


Ms Shona Smith, from the Communities and Partnerships Team, was in attendance to give a presentation on the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015.  In her introduction, Ms Smith advised that although the Act received Royal Assent on 24 July 2015, it was recognised that further regulations and guidance were required for most parts of the legislation.  The Act was made of 11 parts.  Part 2 of the Act was about Community Planning and more specifically local organisations working to benefit the local community.  This would be carried out through joint working, agreeing joint policies and making sure partners knew what each other was doing.  Community Planning Partners, who had a statutory duty, were Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Police Scotland, NHS Borders, Scottish Enterprise and Scottish Borders Council.  The Local Outcomes Improvement Plan (LOIP) replaced Single Outcome Agreements.  The LOIP would contain the outcomes for the Scottish Borders that were a priority for the Community Planning Partnership.  Appropriate community groups must be consulted when developing the LOIP.  Subject to the approval of Scottish Parliament the legislation would come into force on 20 December 2016.


Locality plans focused on smaller areas, one of these being Teviot, and again appropriate community groups must be consulted.  Part 3 of the Act concerned Participation Requests. Ms Smith explained that a Participation Request was a request that could be made by a community participation body which believed it could improve the outcome of a service.   The request must be agreed unless there were reasonable grounds for refusal. It was hoped that this part of the Act would come into force in February/March 2017.   Part 4 of the Act dealt with Community Right to Buy.  Ms Smith explained that communities, with populations over 10,000, would now be able to use Community Right to Buy.   Part 5 of the Act was regarding Asset Transfer requests. Assets were land or buildings owned by public authorities.  Public authorities would be required to publish a register of their assets; Scottish Borders Council had published their register on their website. Ms Smith went on to explain that a group could request to buy or lease land from a public authority if it had a written constitution, was open to anyone in the community, was community led and was for the benefit of the community.  This part of the Act would come into force on 23 January 2017.  Part 8 of the Act was the requirement for all Councils to publish a list of all their Common Good properties, Councils would have to consult with community councils or other community groups before selling or changing the use of any of their Common Good properties.    Part 9 of the Act deal with allotments. The Act set out a standard size of 250 square metres for an allotment. Applications for allotments would be required to be submitted in writing.   Part 10 was in respect of public decision making.  This part of the Act would give Scottish Ministers the power to require that public authorities,  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Neighbourhood Small Schemes and Quality of Life pdf icon PDF 164 KB

Consider report by Service Director Neighbourhood Services. (Copy attached).

Additional documents:


With reference to paragraph 7 of the Minute of 15 November 2016, there had been circulated a report by Service Director Neighbourhood Services seeking approval for proposed new Neighbourhood Small Schemes and Quality of Life Schemes from the Area Forum.  The following Neighbourhood Small Schemes had been requested for consideration by Teviot and Liddesdale Members: installation of drop kerbs at the entrance to Wilton Park Road and adjacent to the main entrance to Wilton Lodge Park, Hawick; installation of drop kerbs at the entrance to Murray Place, Denholm; and installation of timber fencing to create a bin storage area at Wilton Crescent, Hawick.   The following Quality of Life Scheme had been requested for consideration by Members: financial contribution to Escape Youth Services towards their delivery of the Hawick Music Initiative project.



(a)        AGREED the following new Neighbourhood Small Schemes for implementation:-


(i)         Installation of drop kerbs at the entrance to Wilton Park Road

and adjacent to the main entrance to Wilton Lodge Park,

Hawick,                                                                                              £2,370


(ii)        Installation of drop kerbs at the entrance to Murray Place,

            Denholm; and                                                                                    £1,760


(iii)       Installation of fencing to provide a bin storage area

            At Wilton Crescent, Hawick            .                                                           £1,143


(b)       AGREED a financial contribution from the Quality of Life Scheme

to Escape Youth Services towards their delivery of the

Hawick Music Initiative project.                                                                  £2,500


(c)        NOTED:-


(i)         the updates on previously approved Neighbourhood Small Schemes as detailed in Appendix A to the report; and


(ii)        the updates on previously approved Quality of Life Schemes as detailed in Appendix B to the report.            




Police Scotland pdf icon PDF 109 KB

Update report by Police Inspector detailing ongoing work and initiatives in the Teviot and Liddesdale area. (Copy attached).


Inspector Carol Wood, Police Scotland, was in attendance to update the Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum on performance, activities and issues across the Ward.   A report had been circulated prior to the meeting.  The Ward Plan Priorities for Teviot and Liddesdale were highlighted as Drug Dealing and Misuse, Road Safety, Violent Crime and Antisocial Behaviour.  In summary, Inspector Wood reported that with regard to the Drug Dealing and Misuse priority, two males had been found in possession of a class B drug and had been dealt with and reported accordingly.  A 43 year old female was reported for the possession of a class B drug following a drugs house search.  A 19 year old male had been arrested for an offence and once in custody was found in possession of a quantity of tablets.  It was suspected these tablets were class C prohibited substance and once analysed, the relevant charges would be preferred against the male. Police Scotland continued to receive intelligence from the public in relation to drug matters and encouraged this.  Completely anonymous information could be left on Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


            In terms of the Road Safety priority, Community officers continued to give attention to areas where they had received complaints of speeding and inconsiderate driving.  Officers patrolled in identified locations and carried out periodic road checks to positively influence driver behaviour. Officers would continue to educate drivers at every opportunity and communicate with young drivers who travelled to meeting points to meet with friends and other car enthusiasts.  Officers paid particular attention to these drivers and the vehicles and thorough examinations were conducted of their vehicles to ensure compliance with road vehicle construction and use regulations.   It was essential that complaints about driving behaviour were notified to the police via 101 at any time.  


            Tragically, a fatal accident occurred on the evening of Saturday 19 November on the A698 at Knowesouth.  A full traffic collision investigation had been carried out in an effort to establish the cause of the accident.  Information gleaned from this would have a bearing on any future discussions on actions needed to be taken at this location. 


            Vehicles continued to receive parking tickets in the 30 minute zone in Hawick High Street, North Bridge Street and O’Connell Street.  The police would give illegal parking attention whenever possible.  Other incidents included a charge of dangerous driving and four incidents of driving without insurance.  There were also two fixed penalty tickets issued for the use of a mobile phone whilst driving and one for speeding.   The National Festive Drink Driving campaign was underway.  There would be an increase in road checks throughout the day and night in order to deter drink driving and detect those who continued to drive under the influence.  The public were encouraged to report drink drivers either to the police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


            In respect of the Violent Crime priority there were no robberies reported during November.  However, there were two serious assaults.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.


Allocation of Housing in the Scottish Borders - Teviot and Liddesdale Area

Presentation by Charles Johnston, Chief Officer, Plans and Research, Scottish Borders Council.


The other presentation of the evening was from Mr Charles Johnston, Principal Officer – Plans & Research Environment and Infrastructure.   Mr Johnston began by stating that his presentation detailed the Council’s requirement for proposed housing sites to meet housing land requirements.  The Council had approved draft Supplementary Guidance (SG) identifying proposed sites on 10 November to go out for public consultation.     Mr Johnston advised that the Reporter from Scottish Government had identified a shortfall in housing in the Scottish Borders of 916 units.  He explained that the criteria set for housing land included that the development should be in keeping with the settlement and local area and that the required infrastructure was either committed or would be funded by the developer.  Five or more units were required for the site, developer interest, infrastructure issues, transport, and contamination assessment were also key considerations.  A call for sites had identified 113 sites which had been submitted from third parties; 165 sites had been assessed in total.  Stage 1 of the assessment of the site was the initial Red Amber Green (RAG) assessment which was against set criteria and this process had eliminated some sites.  Stage 2 was a detailed assessment of potential sites and consultation with internal and external parties.  Stage 3 was the identification of preferred and alternative sites. The Reporter had now confirmed that 811 units were required in the Scottish Borders.  The units had been identified approximately as follows: 60% in the Central Borders, 20% in Berwickshire and 20% in Northern Scottish Borders. Mr Johnston further advised that finding new sites had been challenging and the process generated a range of opinions.  


Mr Johnston went on to discuss the sites that had been identified in the Teviot and Liddesdale area.  The first preferred site he discussed was at Leishman Place.  This site had a five unit capacity and had been suggested by a Housing Association.  Another preferred site was at Henderson Road, with the capacity for six units.  The next preferred site was at Fairhurst Drive.  This would be a redevelopment site with 10 units.  The final site was an alternative site – a longer term project, this was 60 units at Burnfoot.  There were issues in addressing the water course within this site.   Mr Johnston went on to advise that there were already a number of sites which had previously been identified in the area that had not been taken forward.


Mr Johnstone concluded his presentation by stating that the public consultation on the draft SG had begun and would end on 30 January 2017.  All responses would be considered by the Planning Policy and Access Team and there would be further internal consultation/discussion on any issues raised.  Responses on the consultation could be sent to or to the Team at Council Headquarters.  Mr Johnstone would also be pleased to assist with any queries on the process, his telephone number was 01835 826671.   The Chairman thanked Mr Johnston for the interesting presentation.



NOTED the presentation.



Scottish Fire & Rescue Service pdf icon PDF 255 KB

Update report by Russell Bell, Station Commander, detailing ongoing work and initiatives in the Teviot and Liddesdale Area. (To follow).


There had been circulated a report from Station Manager Russell Bell, Hawick Fire Station, presenting information on response and resilience activities for the month of November 2016.  In summar, Mr Bell reported that during the period of the report there had been one house fire (small fire in kitchen extinguished by removal); two open fires (one woodland deliberate and one outdoor faulty electrical equipment; five Special Service occurrences and eight Unwanted Fire Alarm Signals.  In relation to Water Rescue training, the station had now received a dedicated Mercedes Sprinter van with towing trailer and boat to allow a full deployment to a water rescue incident.  Once training was completed, a live status would be placed against Hawick as a Water Rescue Station.  The high volume pump which had previously been reported to be leaving Hawick, would remain until the required training had been carried out at its new destination (Dundee). 


Fire prevention and protection activity ongoing within the Teviot and Liddesdale area included: Road safety awareness training, a classroom based consequence giving a demonstration of a road traffic collision scene detailing the crew’s responsibilities, actions and techniques.  Driving Into the Future which was an initiative at educating new/potential drivers.  This initiative had been running at Hawick High School and had received encouraging feedback from both students and staff.  Firesharp which was for Primary 6 pupils, providing face to face education on fire risk and prevention.  Mr Bell further advised that the Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest extended trial period had now ended.  A report had been passed to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service’s Strategic Leadership Team with recommendations that trial stations continued to offer the service and that it was rolled out to all stations in Scotland via a three year delivery plan.







Open Questions

Opportunity for members of the public to raise any issues not included on the agenda.


There were no open questions.







Community Council Spotlight

Consider matters of interest to Community Councils.


Hobkirk Community Councillor Mr Cliff Griffiths, expressed concern that it had been reported that there had been discussion regarding the rerouting of heavy traffic from Towerdyke to Bonchester Bridge.  The discussion had taken place without consultation with Hobkirk Community Council or Ward Elected Members.   Mr Griffiths added that there would be a major problem in altering the junction and an impact on the nearby falconry business.  The Ward Councillors added that this was a road safety issue and there were a number of considerations.  There had been no consultation and it would appear that the proposal would move heavy traffic to another area without considering the impact.  Councillors Turnbull and Smith advised that they had been acting in their role as representatives on the Timber Transport Group.  The issue had been raised at the September Area Forum following a presentation from Mr James England, South of Scotland Timber Transport Officer and they had pursued with Mr England following the meeting.  The discussion had been around the funding for a feasibility study and all considerations would be looked at during the study. 


Mr Griffiths further advised that Hobkirk  where setting up a Community Trust, they were at the early stages as there were issues with the electoral register.   Another response had been received from a windfarm developer.



NOTED the report.



Date of next Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum Meeting

Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 6.30 pm in the Lesser Hall, Town Hall, Hawick.


The next meeting of the Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum was scheduled for Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 6.30 pm in the Lesser Hall.







Scottish Borders Council

Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA

Tel: 0300 100 1800


For more Contact Details