Scottish Borders Council

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Lesser Hall, Town Hall, Hawick

Contact: Judith Turnbull Tel No. 01835 826556  Email:

No. Item


Minute pdf icon PDF 99 KB

Minute of the meeting of the Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum of 20 September 2016 to be approved. (Copy attached).


There had been circulated copies of the Minute of the meeting held on 20 September 2016.   



AGREED to approve the Minute.



Police Scotland - Divisional Commander Briefing pdf icon PDF 107 KB

Update report by Police Inspector detailing ongoing work and initiatives in the Teviot and Liddesdale area. (To follow).


The Chairman welcomed Chief Superintendent Ivor Marshall, Divisional Commander J Division.  Chief Superintendent Marshall was in attendance to give a briefing on Police Scotland’s priorities.  Chief Superintendent Marshall began by advising that he had been employed by the Police for 27 years, in a range of roles.  He had been Divisional Commander for Lothian and the Scottish Borders for six months.   He explained that their main priorities were:  violence, sexual crime, roads policing, house break-ins, and anti-social behaviour.   He highlighted that as his officers, lived and worked in the Scottish Borders they had a real ownership and pride in the area.  However, he emphasised that dealing with crime was only 20% of their role; the Police were available 24 hours a day and 80% of their time was dealing with social care issues.


Chief Superintendent Marshall then invited questions.  In response to a question regarding the use of CCTV, he advised that it was an effective tool in terms of recording incidents and gathering evidence.   However, it needed to be proactively monitored which was both labour and cost intensive.  For any crime investigated, CCTV was examined.   With regard to a question on the importance of local knowledge and local resources, he agreed that community intelligence combined with partnership working was essential.   He reiterated that 80% of Police Scotland’s duties involved mental health or societal issues.  He gave an example of foodbanks, explaining that if people in need were not able to access this facility then they could get into difficulty.  Local knowledge and collective working with partners allowed conversations and understanding of these issues and the needs of communities.  He went on to refer to recent press coverage regarding a review of police stations, which had included Hawick Police Station.    He stressed the importance of Hawick Police Station; it had been included in the review as part of an assessment of local estates and consideration of the possibility of joint working with partners in the facility.  With regard to Galashiels Police Station, being the Police Headquarters for the Scottish Borders, he advised that resources needed to be located in proximity to where there was the greatest need.   Performance measures were analysed frequently and if they indicated a delay in response time, because of location, consideration would be given to relocation, wherever that might be.  The priority was to ensure that they had the resources to provide the best service.    There followed a discussion on the proceeds of crime initiative and the redistribution of income. Chief Superintendent Marshall advised that the Police did not benefit; the funds were distributed through the Scottish Government to good causes or charitable organisations.  Factors such as level of deprivation and community projects were taken into consideration.   Inspector Wood added that Police Scotland could not bid for funding; for example, the grant from the fund for Hawick Leisure Centre had been arranged by the Community Grants Officer at Scottish Borders Council. 


Chief Superintendent Marshall further advised that the level of drug availability and misuse in the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.


Police Scotland

Briefing by Chief Superintendent Marshall, Divisional Commander J Division, Police Scotland.


Inspector Carol Wood, Police Scotland, was in attendance to present an update report on the ward priorities, a report had been circulated prior to the meeting.  Inspector Wood advised that there had been a purge on illegal parking on the High Street at the weekend.  They would continue to be active in dealing with parking issues, whenever possible.   There followed a discussion on rural crime, Inspector Wood advised that although it was not a ward priority, they continued to target rural crime. Community Officers has received additional training and there had also been collective working with the Farmers’ Union for target information days at Newtown St Boswells Auction Mart.  Members praised the diligence of the local Hawick and Hermitage Police Officer, PC Paterson.  The Forum went on to discuss the recent closure of the A7 because of a police incident at Langholm, Chief Superintendent Marshall advised that,  from a divisional point of view, there was no perceived threat or risk of this type of incident becoming prevalent. 



NOTED the report.



Engagement by NHS Borders

Update report by Ms June Smythe, NHS Borders.


Mr D Davidson, Dr Steele and Ms June Smyth, Director of Workforce and Planning, were in attendance at the meeting to update on NHS Borders initiatives.  Ms Smyth advised that there had been no substantial progress with Crumhaugh House other than the statement issued to the local press in October.  However, she would bring further updates to the Forum as the development progressed.   Ms Smyth discussed NHS Borders’ waiting times, the target of which was that every unscheduled appointment should receive treatment within four hours. For the weekend of the 6 December they had achieved 95% of the target.   She explained that any patient not seen within four hours was considered a breach and subject to in-depth analysis in order that they could identify any issues and improve going forward.   NHS Borders’ target standard was 97% which compared favourably with the Scottish Government standard of 95%.  Ms Smyth went on to advise that at the recent Scottish Health Awards, a local GP from Jedburgh had won the prestigious Doctor of the Year Award and Ms Isobel Burton from Hawick Dental Centre had also been presented with an award. 


There followed a discussion and a number of questions were raised. In answer to a question regarding NHS Borders’ performance compared with national targets.  Ms Smyth advised that they monitored performance on a monthly basis, for example, sickness absence, delayed discharge.  NHS Borders performed significantly higher than national targets.  She would bring further details to the February meeting of the Forum.   With respect to Hawick Community Hospital, local targets were in place to drive forward improvements such as, mental health care, post diagnostic support and satisfaction rates from patients. She would arrange for a representative from the community hospital to attend the next meeting with an update.  Dr Davidson added that one of the major issues for the Health and Social Care integration Board was delayed discharge.  Partnership working to enable the provision of safe, supported care at home was a priority.  He would request that the new Chief Officer for Health and Social Care Integration present an update at the February meeting. 



(a)        NOTED the report.


(b)       To request NHS Borders representatives bring back to the February 2017 meeting reports on:-


(i)         Crumhaugh House, Hawick;

(ii)        Performance monitoring and comparison with national targets;

(iii)       Hawick Community Hospital; and

(iv)       Update from the new Chief Officer for Health and Social Care Integration. 



Scottish Fire & Rescue Service pdf icon PDF 256 KB

Update report by Russell Bell, Station Commander, detailing ongoing work and initiatives in the Teviot and Liddesdale Area. (To follow.)


There had been circulated a report from Station Manager Russell Bell, Hawick Fire Station, presenting information on response and resilience activities for the month of October 2016.  The report highlighted that there had been two house fires, two open fire (outdoor refuse deliberate ignition) and ten unwanted fire alarm signals.  There had also been three special service incidents with one fatality.  The report also advised that Hawick Whole-time crews had completed their water based, swift water rescue training and a proportional number had also been trained as boat operators.  The high volume pump would leave Hawick as the Water Rescue skillset was confirmed as live.






Traffic Regulation Order - Fraser Avenue and Hillend Drive pdf icon PDF 223 KB

To consider report by Service Director Assets and Infrastructure.  (Copy attached).


With reference to paragraph 5 of the Minute of 20 September 2016, there had been circulated a report by Service Director Asset and Infrastructure proposing to amend the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) for Hawick.  Mr Dunlop was in attendance and advised that since the previous amendment in 2014, a number of comments had been collated for proposed amendments.  Along with other amendments to the TRO for Hawick currently being processed, the need for a no waiting restriction had been highlighted, at the junction of Fraser Avenue and Hillend Drive in the town.  The amendment had been promoted due to safety concerns and accessibility issues particularly for service buses where vehicles habitually parked.  The Forum welcomed the additional amendment to the TRO.  Inspector Wood asked the time limit for the consultation period, Mr Dunlop intimated that he would advise out with the meeting.




(a)        the advertising of the proposed amendments as detailed in the Appendices to the report; and


(b)       If there were no adverse comments or objections, the making of the Order.




Neighbourhood Small Schemes and Quality of Life pdf icon PDF 134 KB

Consider report by Service Director Neighbourhood Services. (Copy attached).

Additional documents:


With reference to paragraph 6 of the Minute of 16 August 2016, there had been circulated a report by Service Director Neighbourhood Services seeking approval for proposed new Neighbourhood Small Schemes and Quality of Life Schemes from the Area Forum.  The following Neighbourhood Small Schemes had been requested for consideration by Teviot and Liddesdale Members: remove grass area and tree and reinstate with tar at the Loan, Hawick; clear vegetation and rubbish at old garage area at Charles Street, Hawick; provide and install street name plate at Melrose Court, Hawick; and, provide and install two street names plates at Croft Field, Denholm.  Mr Dunlop advised that the clearing of vegetation at Charles Street including weed killing in the spring. Timescale was weather dependent, but would hopefully be completed this year. 



(a)        AGREED the following new Neighbourhood Small Schemes for implementation:-


            (i)         Remove grass area and tree and reinstate with tar at the

Loan, Hawick,                                                                                    £3,911

            (ii)        Clear vegetation and rubbish at old garage area at

                        Charles Street, Hawick,                                                                   £  860

(iii)       Provide and install street name plate at Melrose Court

                        Hawick; and                                                                                       £  280

(iv)       Provide and install two street name plates at Croft Field,

Denholm                                                                                            £  300 


(b)       NOTED:-

(i)         the updates on previously approved Neighbourhood Small Schemes as detailed in Appendix A to the report; and

(ii)        the updates on previously approved Quality of Life Schemes as detailed in Appendix B to the report.           



Open Questions

Opportunity for members of the public to raise any issues not included on the agenda.


There were no open questions.




Community Council Spotlight

Consider matters of interest to Community Councils.


Community Councillor Gwen Crew (Denholm) advised that they had another new community council member had been appointed.  However, there was still one vacancy and they would encourage anyone interested to contact the Community Council.  Community Council’s meetings continued to be taking up with windfarms in the area, presently these were Pine Burn and Birneyknowe.    Mrs Crew further advised that Denholm had hosted a Firework Display and Folk Festival on 4 and 5 November, which had been successful.  The Community Council had also funded the costs of medals for the recent children’s rugby event hosted in Denholm; the community council encouraged all sporting organisations and events.


Mr Philip Kerr (Southdean) advised that windfarm developments also featured highly at their meetings, at the moment there were three: Highlee, Pine Burn and Birneyknowe.  The Community Council had been involved with the Digital Forum, there being no broadband and a limited mobile signal in the community.  They were pursing, with Hobkirk and Newcastleton Community Councils, the various initiatives suggested at the Forum. Mr Kerr further advised that representatives from Southdean Community Council would be attending the Borders National Park Stakeholder Event to be held in Jedburgh on 17 November. 


Mr Knox (Hawick) advised that there had been a report and discussion on the Cobble Cauld potential for a hydropower installation.   He further advised that they were preparing for the Christmas Parade which would be held on Thursday 1 December,  a change from the Saturday at the request of a primary school.  The Christmas lights would also be installed by Sunday.  Mr Knox further advised that the next meeting of Hawick Community Council would be on 5 December at The Well. 



Mr John Curtis (Hobkirk) advised that the Community Council could be interested in taking over the redundant Primary School building at Hobkirk.  They were in discussion with The Bridge regarding setting up a trust and grant availability. 



NOTED the reports.



Date of next Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum Meeting

The next Meeting of the Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, 13 December at 6.30 pm in the Lesser Hall, Town Hall, Hawick.


The next meeting of the Teviot and Liddesdale Area Forum was scheduled for Tuesday, 13 December 2016 at 6.30 pm in the Lesser Hall.






Urgent Business


Under Section 50B(4)(b) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, the Chairman was of the opinion that the items dealt with in the following paragraphs should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency, in view of the need to keep Members informed and to make an early decision.




Local Public Holidays 2017 - Teviot and Liddesdale pdf icon PDF 37 KB


There had been circulated copies of the proposed local public holidays for 2017 in Teviot and Liddesdale.



AGREED to determine the Public Holidays for Teviot and Liddesdale as set out in Appendix (A) to this Minute.



Hawick International Welcome Group


Councillor Smith advised that Hawick’s twin town Bailleul, France, had invited Hawick to participate in their 50th anniversary celebrations to commemorate the twining link with their first twin town, Werne in Germany.  The event would also celebrate the 25th Anniversary of their twinning link with Izegem, Belgium.    The event would take place from 24 to 30 July 2017.  It is anticipated that travel costs would be in the region of £100-£150.  All five of Bailleul’s twin towns had been invited to attend the event.  Anyone interested, between the ages of 14 and 17 years, should contact the Councillor Smith.  








Scottish Borders Council

Council Headquarters Newtown St. Boswells Melrose TD6 0SA

Tel: 0300 100 1800


For more Contact Details